Warrior Sailing Welcomes the Great Lakes
Warrior Sailing hosted their first Regional Training Camp in Charlevoix, Michigan June 8th and 9th, officially launching the program’s regional sailing season!
In 2018, Warrior Sailing initiated a regional effort in the Great Lakes. The goal was was to facilitate more opportunities for applicants on a local level, particularly for those who were unable to attend a Basic Training Camp elsewhere due to travel costs and distance. The 2018 season was a success. This year, we wanted to continue to improve our service to the men and women involved in Warrior Sailing.
This project began with the appointment of Casey Petz as Regional Coordinator and the naming of Page Sikes as the Military Community Liaison for Warrior Sailing in the Great Lakes Region. Page and Casey decided to start the summer of sailing with a Basic Training Camp for those that wanted to sail with Warrior Sailing in the weekly training. With the help of Cory Kapes, our National Program Director, Casey and Page brought 12 Warriors to Charlevoix, Michigan to learn how to sail onboard J22’s. Our coaching staff for the camp included Quantum Sail loft employees. The two-day camp truly brought the Great Lakes Region into the Warrior Sailing family.
The two days were hosted by Charlevoix Yacht Club. The weather was varying sun and clouds with light winds, but enough to get the boats moving around the harbor on beautiful Lake Charlevoix.
Warrior Sailing looks forward to this increased regional coordination help facilitate more opportunities in the Great Lakes Area. The team there will provide weekly racing onboard the J22, Warrior 22, in Traverse City and will participate in a few regional events this summer and fall. Welcome to the family.
What is next for Warrior Sailing
We’ve got a busy schedule ahead of us.
- Warrior 53 Tour, Lake Michigan & Lake Huron
- Certification Training Camp, Seattle, WA
- VA National Summer Sports Clinic, San Diego, CA
A Special Thank You to:
- Harwood Gold and Amber Parsons for breakfast, coffee, and offering military discounts at their store and online! Go support local businesses that help Warrior Sailors succeed!
- Jimmy Johns – The Traverse City JJ provided lunches free of charge for the weekend.
- Quantum Sails in Traverse City for donating gear bags and serving as coaches for the event.
- Prout Financial Design for donating some air-time on their weekly radio show and for donating money to cover some meal expenses.
- Charlevoix Yacht Club – Our hosting club and the source of our volunteers, who made the event run smoothly.
- J22 Owners – The J22 fleet in Charlevoix is being rejuvenated by the efforts of the commodore of Charlevoix Yacht Club and some motivated members. Special thank you to Tom Barnes and Bob Grove for their efforts over the last year.
- Mr. Bob Christoph – An avid sailor and local Charlevoix summer resident. His donation made housing, food, and coaching expense free for the warriors. You have helped change the lives of these veterans. Thank you!
- Rob and Renee Reynolds – Towing and storage of the coach boat was a huge help.